POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Waterdrops on Glass... How? : Waterdrops on Glass... How? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:29:11 EDT (-0400)
  Waterdrops on Glass... How?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 8 Jan 2003 14:24:59
Message: <3e1c7b0b@news.povray.org>
Hello all!

I've been working on my "Worldbowl" image again,
and am trying to update it with my most recent macros,
making things look better and more detailed, in order to
achieve a very pleasing and realistic image which I might
put on Zazzle. In my oppinion, its one of my images which
actually have the option to be made something very
special...

Well, to get to the point, I have come to the conclusion that
some nice raindrops on the window would look very nice
and add some tiny detail to the otherwise boring outside
view.
Right now, I'm just placing blob-components (more or less
random, I'm working on that part), but the main problem I have
is the refraction due to the water. Normally, Water has an ior
or 1.33 and glass one of 1.45 or so. In order to get rid of the
coincident surface problem, I'm just clipping the blob with a box.
This leaves an open shell on the glass surface.
I'm one of those ulra-realistic guys, so I'd like to know either
how I can either calculate an ior for the water to simulate the
refraction taking place between water and glass surfaces.
In this case, its not a big problem, I could just play with different
ior settings for the water till I get a look I like.
But let's not take a glass window, but one for drinking. In that case,
an "open shell" water would be a disc in the glass to simulate the
water surface. But I want to simulate the correct refraction taking place
when the viewing rays passes through the glass into the water.

Sounds pretty complicated and I'm not too sure if I make myself
clear. The other way round:
Most of the time, us POVers leave a little gap between two transparent
surfaces in order to avoid coincident surfaces. But when refracting rays,
the effect taking place is different as opposed to two surfaces touching
each other.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Tim